Sunday, June 29, 2008

"Bootleggers", good or bad?


BOOTLEGGER'S- we all know who they are, we all all know who they represent, we all know their motive. Money that is. Bootlegger's has alway's been looked down upon in the fashion world, but their pretty classic. Meaning, the fashion police and even the real police has not been able to put a stop to their business endeavors.


I personally, have alway's thought, in my heart that bootlegger's and anyone that purchased imitation, bootlegger products were wrong and possibly stealing, depending on how you looked at it. But, to tell the truth, I've purchased a many imitation products in my day, from stores and bootleggers. But while buying these products, my conscious would scream, 'you know you're wrong for this.'


The reason continued the sale and even purchased thereafter:


Reason 1: Loved the design

Reason 2: Great price

Reason 3: Bought if can't tell that's it's a cheaper, imitation, version of product


These are the reason's bootleggers are still in business today and probably will never go out of business. Most buyer's have felt the way I felt. Many time's, buyer's are unable to purchase the real, authentic product, at the original expensive price, and if a bootlegger cross their path and it's a great imitation for sell, it's as good as GONE!


I didn't really change my perspective or feelings regarding this being wrong until about a month ago. I was viewing an Oprah Show episode and one of my favorite designer's of all time, Mr. Marc Jacobs, was a featured guest. Oprah asked him a question, about his feelings towards people that piroted or bootlegged imitations of his products(Marc Jacobs is also a feature designer on the Louis Vuitton design team.) Mr. Jacobs replied, "I feel flattered and good to know that I have created and designed something so great that other's want to imitate. I have no problem with it."


Now, for Mr. Marc Jacobs himself, to say such a thing, wow, it made me feel alright about my past 'misdeeds' and possible my future one's. Oprah understood where he was coming from and this just made things better for me, I must say.


Now for all of you that have previously bought imitation goods, thought about it or just condemned those who do or had, please rethink your position...



Shine forever!!

No comments: